Saturday, April 18, 2015

My 100th post: Part 1 (The view from Cao Dat)

100 is a BIG number, guys. Most people don't live to see 100 so we celebrate those that do. Most shows don't last until the 100th episode so they do something super special, usually by sending the characters on a trip (well, at least they did in the 90's) or kill someone off. Yep, those are the two types of shows I watch. In honor of my 100th post, I've decided to celebrate, but in a different way. I'm going to celebrate the mundane, the everyday, basically, my routine. What better way to do it than through pictures!

First post, my apartment.

View from the living. Check out the crazy leather sofa. If you're thinking that it's okay to have a leather sofa in an apartment in Vietnam if you have an air conditioner, you're right. Too bad we didn't have an a.c. This is one of the awesome apartments on Cao Dat in District 5. If you're a teacher in the city this is a place that lots of teachers tend to congregate and is pretty ideal because you can get the expat support system you'll initially need and it's also very Vietnamese so you'll have room to branch out when you're ready.

View from the kitchen! Love our little gas stove. I ran out of gas while cooking dhal the first time I found it. Note: always make sure that you have enough gas before cooking. Most apartments have those small cookstoves and they very rarely have ovens. Unless you live in one of the fancy ones like Diamond Plaza or The Manor. Also, check out our bottle of DaLat wine. It's perfect for mulled wine, less so for drinking straight from bottle to glass. 

My new room! Check out the king sized bed and oversized armoire. Also, not the crutches in the corner. Those were my Vietnamese crutches. They were the tallest the hospital had and 2 inches shorter than me and they gave me teh occasional splinter. Total Viet crutches. 

The view from my apartment. That's the Saigon River and the highway running alongside it. What a beautiful sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment