Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Confessions of a brand new teacher...

I've been teaching for about 1 1/2 weeks now. Two weekends and a couple of days during the week. My schedule so far is Saturdays and Sundays, because everyone has to teach on weekends, and then evenings on Tuesday and Thursday. I really hope to keep the Tuesday/Thursday schedule but if I were to get M/W/F I could bank more hours and thus more money faster. For my first two weekends I was given a cover class. The teacher was on vacation for a couple of weeks so I took over his 3rd level Junior class. Juniors are kids between the ages of 7-10 but I have some 11 year olds in my permanent class. They're the really smart ones. This past Sunday I got a taste of what a full day is like. I got to school at 6:15, prepped for my 7:30 am class, had SO much fun with them, got lots of hugs when I said it would be my last class with them and promised to visit them in the future, fixed some admin stuff and then got asked to cover two classes later that afternoon. I was already exhausted because I'm not completely back on a good sleep schedule but the woman who schedules the classes told me I had a Jumpstarts class, which of course I jumped at. They're the 4 to 6 year olds who are COMPLETELY ADORABLE. The cover classes were at another center from 2:30 to 7 pm and I figured, why not, it's more money. My friend Theresa, and future roommate, works at Centre 5 so she welcomed me, showed me around, and got me set up for my afternoon classes. They were fantastic and I had so much fun even though I was exhausted after being on my feet for 4+ hours. Then Theresa got sick. Like violently ill and I felt terrible for her. The centre's academic manager had left for the day and she didn't know what to do so I volunteered to cover her class for her. More money of course and I couldn't leave my friend to suffer like that. Turns out it was for the best. Her class was an Elite class and up until Sunday I had been terrified of teaching them. They're anywhere between 11-17 years old and they have amazing language skills. I was terrified because I was sure that those kids knew way more than me. Well they do but they don't attack you if you don't know something. Plus the cover lesson was on Charities and BOY do I know about charities. The lessons went really well and now I'm rethinking Jumpstarts because even though they're INSANELY cute and they'll crawl in your lap and kiss you and hug you, there's a lot of time spent on the floor and it's murder on my joints. Maybe I'll make it work. In the meantime good things are happening and hopefully I'll have wonderful news to post on Saturday! :) In the meantime, have a good week cyber/real family!

Sorry to disappoint that there weren't any actual confessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment